March 25, 2009 in Zen Cart Add Ons
Is this useful? Like it.
UPDATE Nov 27, 2010: Some notes on using this add-on together with Image Handler II. See the “A note on Image Handler II compatibility” section below.
UPDATE Nov 01, 2010: If you find it doesn’t work in Google Chrome, please download again and overwrite the “js” folder – no need to update other files.
If you’re not sure what it is, see demo here (it’s not a Zen Cart site but the same effects — fades the page into dark background and shows the product photo in the same window).
There are already modules available from Zencart.com for adding the lightbox feature for displaying your product images. If you’re interested, you can search the site for the add-ons. But please do read the forum’s support thread for the add-on and see if you’re comfortable with the issues faced by the other users. The add-ons are powerful but a bit complicated (many files involved, cumbersome un-installing and some users faced compatibility issues).
Here is a much easier method to add the Lightbox (this version is actually a Lightbox clone called Slimbox) feature to your Zen Cart store. Only a few additional files, no need to overwrite any files and no database patching involved. Uninstalling means deleting the few files that you have uploaded — simple and painless.
- Upload the following four Zen Cart files:
- No settings needed. Go to your Zen Cart site and see the result.
NOTE: Replace YOUR_TEMPLATE with the actual folder name of the custom template that you are using. If you don’t see the folder at any of the location shown above, you need to create the folder.
A note on Image Handler II compatibility
Image Handler II is a recommended add-on for managing your product images and speed up your site. But if you install it, you can see that it has 2 files that “clash” with our slimbox files:
The trick is to use OUR version of those files instead of the two provided by Image Handler. Then you will have both our Slimbox and Image Handler II working together.
Just install Image Handler II first, then install our Slimbox/Lightbox files.
To uninstall, just delete the above files/folders from your server. If you use Image Handler II, remember to re-upload their version of these two files:
- Works with (or without) Image Handler 2 installed
- May not work if you create different images for different size photo of the same product. For example product1_MED.jpg, product1_LRG.jpg and stored in different folders — ‘medium’, ‘large’ folders etc. If you’re manually creating the different sized photos, you should consider installing Image Handler 2 — you just need to upload one large image for a product and Image Handler will create and cache the smaller images for you.
- None of the above files should overwrite any of your files in your template. But if you already have the files in your template, please compare and merge the contents. (Except for the Image Handler II case above)
- The folders “css” and “js” mentioned above contain the original Slimbox 1.5.8 files, from http://www.digitalia.be/software/slimbox (the folders were downloaded from the site — used as is, no modifications at all).